Apps that Delight & Develop

Monday, August 9, 2010

iThink I can - iThink I can....

Are you wondering how we ever came up with the name i-itch for our company? Well, honestly, every other name we thought of as a good representation of our endeavor was taken. Really? Yes. We tried short, one syllable words, we tried mythical characters, we tried literary references, we tried our two names in at least 100 different ways, and countless hours with various iWord combinations, and they were all taken.... We didn’t settle for i-itch, it really grew on us.


The slacker boy with the bad rash really did epitomize our educational methods. When teaching children the letter “i” we model the act of scratching, which incorporates tactile and kinesthetic elements. This is more commonly referred to as the multi-sensory approach. It’s been proven to be a more effective way to teach, a more effective way to learn and most importantly, improved retention.

Then there is the other component to successful learning that both my partner and I are absolute devout believers in - learning by doing. And the experience should be FUN! It’s true! If learning is presented in a fun way, the learner learns more, retains more, and is inspired to continue learning. This process develops lifelong learners.

"Learning is not a product of schooling but the lifelong attempt to acquire it." Albert Einstein
Originally we were set on Educating and Entertaining Simultaneously as our mission statement. It said exactly what we believed and it had flair using, my favorite literary device, alliteration. About midway into the initial project we switched to Apps that Delight and Develop. We learned how important it was to include the word apps in our tag line. Oh what a steep mountain the learning curve can be! "Puff, puff, chug, chug, I think I can - I think I can...."

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, that was my favorite book! And wise words to live by......

    ReplyDelete